Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy Halloween

My first day full day in my new digs.  Today was also a staff breakfast/lunch and the school psychologists were in charge of putting the lunch together.  Of course we stuck with the Halloween theme but we ignored my original suggestion of making focusing on Freudian fears due to the potential for sexual harassment lawsuits and stuck with a more traditional theme.

Even though my coworkers are anonymous as far as this blog is concerned, I just have to give praise to our youngest fellow school psych who did a great job organizing the affair.  She took on a job that I wouldn't have touched with a 10 foot pole and handled it with aplomb.

So since we didn't have a staff meeting today due to the overflow of the big move, I went over to see a student on my caseload who had freaked out the speech therapist during their re-evaluation.  I met with the student and learned that the kid is a bit sensitive and is definitely not the type of kid who should be watching 1000 Ways to Die especially at 11 years of age.  Sheesh, really?  C'mon.  I was watching Enter the Ninja  & Revenge of the Ninja and at that age, and I certainly shouldn't have, and look how messed up I am.

Well, practically the whole school, students and staff, were dressed up for Halloween so I felt a little underdressed when I was over there.  So I made sure to tell any staff member, in my best deadpan, that asked that I was dressed as a serial killer and they look just like everyone else.  I like to scare the normals.

So I returned to the office and had lunch with the department and then I got annoying news.

A friend of mine had been asking me why I had been dreading the move so much and I told her that I knew it wasn't going to go smoothly considering all the potential IT and maintenance issues.  To be honest, it went rather smoothly yesterday, aside from being yelled at by someone for something that was my fault and largely their deluded misconceptions (Can you tell this person got under my skin?).

But all was not to be well.  So this afternoon, I'm told that there is a good chance that I'm going to have to move again because the person that yelled at me yesterday (who is the head of the alternative school program) dropped hints that they were planning on using the area where my office space is set up as a place for having students fill out paperwork and meet with teachers, which now makes my location inconvenient due to the confidentiality issues involved with my position.  This person had not mentioned anything about this prior to the move.  My thinking (paranoid as it may be but, as we know, just because your paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you) is that this person was so incensed that we moved in yesterday that they just made this crap up.  And considering that I heard them, upstairs, this afternoon, saying to someone else, "If you're nice to people, you get screwed.  That's what happens when you're nice to people" I find it hard to believe otherwise.

So now I'm probably going to have to empty out my new desk, which I just got organized yesterday, which is really amazing for me, and move into a smaller location than I was before.

No comments:

Post a Comment