Thursday, November 11, 2010

Just stop the lying...

[rant]I recently started using the School Motivation and Learning Strategies Inventory (SMALSI) with students this year.  I figured that it would be good to get an idea of students' study and classroom habits since the academic difficulties that students have may be due to poor school skills than an actual deficit, or it may exacerbate the deficit.

Now I know the best way to administer an inventory is to let the student fill out the inventory on their own.  Have them read it themselves and "x" out their answer.  But after a number of experiences where I spent twice the time to administer explaining what a word was or rephrasing the statement, I have started to get into a habit of reading the statements to the student.  This has also allowed me to ask the students follow up questions.  I've done this with the Conners and BASC as well.  It is easier than looking over the entire protocol after they fill it out and asking follow up questions.

I've tried to preface this sort of thing by telling the students that I'm not there to judge them.  I'm not going to get angry with them.  I'm not going to go tell teachers that they hate them.  I just want to find out what is going on.

So students: lets just stop the lying.  I know you don't do your homework between classes or at lunch time.  I know you don't copy your notes over later on so you can understand them.  I know you don't review the questions at the end of the chapter before you read the chapter.  How do I know?  Because I didn't do it either.  And if you did, it is very likely we wouldn't be meeting.

I also know that you don't copy down everything the teacher writes on the board; I know you forget your homework; I know you put off doing your work in class.  How do I know?  Because I was watching you not copy notes from the board and getting reprimanded for not turning in your work.  I watched the teacher stand over you and direct you to do each question while trying to get you to stop talking to the student next to you.

Can we, please, just stop the lies?[/rant]

No comments:

Post a Comment