Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Flaws with Fluxx

I started my day by going over to my assigned school and doing some counseling.  I have a few compensatory sessions that I need to do with my students in counseling but I feel weird seeing them so soon after just seeing them two days before.  I meet with some of them and then one of my coworkers comes to the school to test one of my students and I end up vacating the office in the school so they have a place to test.

I return to my other office and do some paperwork.  Yesterday, my office mate and I tried Fluxx to get used to the rules.  I still think it is a good game to play with students but some of my students have reading comprehension issues and may have difficulty with reading some of the rules.  So I took a look at some other card games that are out there and found another one by the same company.

Aquarius by Looney Labs is a simpler game.  In some ways, it is like dominoes.  From their website:
Each player is given a secret goal card of one of the five elements. Element cards are played on the table connected like dominoes, with each player trying to win by connecting seven panels of their goal. Action cards allow players to shake up the action in six different ways. The game is fast, fun, colorful, and easy to learn - with enough bluffing and strategy to keep adults engaged.
So I picked it up today and tried it with my office mates.  It was a much smoother game with less rules and very little reading involved.  In addition, there is a good level of strategy added to the game with the action cards.  There is even a preschool level of play in the instructions.  My social worker coworker gave some other things to observe during game play: frustration level, cooperation, and I'll add in executive functioning.

In the afternoon, I finished testing the student I started yesterday.  I also got a request for information from our county juvenile detention center asking for information on a student of mine that is now in their care.  I photocopied the needed documents to mail out.

No comments:

Post a Comment