Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wednesday, December 2nd

It all begins with some counseling in the high school. My first student of the day asks me to teach him how to tie a Windsor knot for his ROTC uniform. Probably one of the more unusual requests that I have received. Looking back on it, it is a little sad that he asked me to do something that you usually learn from your father. Even more sad since I know that his father is still in his home. Follow that session and several failed attempts to find other students, it is back to base.

Once I'm back at the office, I type up my counseling notes and logs for the past two days. Then I type up the nothing risk assessment from the day before. Once all of that is done, I have lunch and then head over to the local court house to pay for the parking ticket I got when I went to one of our schools with notoriously poor parking. It was a real BS ticket considering I wasn't obstructing a crosswalk and there were not signs saying that I couldn't park beyond such and such point.

Once I'm back at the office, I put my risk assessment report in interoffice envelopes and send them to the proper people. As I'm finishing that, my boss asks me to contact one of the other school psychologists that had been sent to one of the elementary schools to see about a student that was saying they wanted to kill themselves and tearing up the classroom. I was supposed to give my coworker information regarding the area psychiatric screeners. As I'm in the process of calling and leaving a message for my coworker, my boss comes in again and asks me to go over there as back up for my coworker. I put on my traveling shoes (figuratively speaking...I don't go around barefoot in my office) and head on over.

Upon arriving there, I find one of the more unique risk assessments that I have done while I've been in school districts. I'm loathe to describe the scene because it really marks out the situation and I'm concerned regarding confidentiality. It was one of the more chaotic situations I've seen though. After some time, the student calms down enough that the peak of the crisis is past but there are still concerns regarding the student's safety and the safety of other students so the students family told that the student must be screened and cleared before returning to school. The details are given to the family and the parent leaves with the student.

My feelings on the situation are along the lines of "too many cooks spoiling the pot." The situation was disorganized because of all the staff that got involved, myself included. I really didn't do much once I got there because I was coming into the situation after everything so I pretty much acted as the person who was most familiar with procedure.

Tomorrow, I'll probably talk about the situation with my co-worker.

No comments:

Post a Comment