Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Wednesday, December 16th

I get into work and immediately head over to the high school for my two re-evaluation planning meetings. Things start off so well. No teachers, no parents. I call my first parent and manage to pull teachers together for a phoner. The student is found to be eligible based on a functional assessment of his performance and no additional testing is required.

This trend of no parents appears to continue for my second meeting. I call the "home" number and a young male answers the phone. It turns out that the young man is my student. It turns out that the "home" phone number that I called is a cell phone in my student's possession. It turns out that my student is in school. Ergo, he is answering his cell phone in school while he is in class. Once I bring this up on the phone, we are suddenly disconnected. Good grief.

Just as I'm letting teachers go back to class, this student's mother shows up. I have a large number of Hispanic students and I have trouble keeping track of which student's parents speak Spanish and very little English. It turns out that this parent is one such mother. I make a hasty call to a coworker that speaks Spanish and manage to get her on the phone for interpretation. So we manage to get through this meeting as well.

I return to the office and prepare for my next meeting for a student that had been withdrawn from the district last year and is now re-registered in the district. The student has been out of school since last March. The student is also in need of an out-of-district placement. The meeting goes on for quite some time but I get what is needed to start looking for an out-of-district.

After lunch, I spend the rest of the day preparing paperwork for the super duper special meeting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment