Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tuesday, December 15th

Well today involved some counseling for my 1st period group. It was funny because one member was absent and the group was much more manageable.

After this, I returned to the office and started doing some preparation for my re-evaluation planning meetings. I also turned in some stuff to one of the secretaries to have a whole bunch of documents archived in our computer system. This means that those documents will be read only.

I also reschedule the mistaken appointment I mentioned yesterday.

Lunch rolls around and a risk assessment rolls around with it. I get to bring along one of my new coworkers to break her in for risk assessments in the district. But more importantly, she speaks Spanish and the student was an ESL student. Obviously, she did most of the talking. Following this, I get another surprise. The guidance counselor for the ESL student asks me to speak to another student that had made an unfortunate comment. In both cases, the students aren't sent out for an evaluation. After this, I stop at the middle school to try to see another student for counseling.

I call up to the classroom and the teacher makes a stink because they are starting a new lesson. She asks if she can send the student down at the end of the period. I tell her "never mind" because I know the student needs the lesson and I don't plan on waiting 30 minutes for the end of the period.

Once I'm back at the office, I finish up the paperwork for tomorrows meetings and look over paperwork for Thursday's extra special meeting. I also find my first of three performance evaluations for the year on my desk with a note to set up an appointment to review it Thursday at 9am (1 hour before this meeting). The evaluation is very complimentary and I later joke to a coworker that its a good thing that I meet with my boss about it before the lawyer meeting because if it was after she might think of changing the evaluation.

While I going over paperwork, I start looking over a form called "Waiver of Triennial Re-evaluation." I've never really used this form before because I haven't really understood how it is used. I look up the statute that it references and read it over. I then talk to a few of my coworkers about it. The only conclusion we come to is that it would be used in the case of a disabling condition that isn't going to change over time, such as cognitive impairment or deafness, or blindness. Even so, I'm not sure. This feels like something to get more clarification on from the county office. Since our monitoring visit, there are a few things, form-wise, that need clarification.

Following this, I look over the information on my new student and discover a number of discrepancies in the paperwork which is aggravating. After this discovery, I go home to prepare for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment