Monday, December 14, 2009

A Little Delayed

I got a little behind on posting.

Friday, December 11th
Oddly enough, I can't remember much from Friday except to say that it went really slowly. The most entertaining thing was counseling my early morning girls group. Very little talking on my part was needed. I don't know how teenage girls have that much energy for drama.

I then spent the day tied up with trying to locate home instructors for my suspended student. I was also given a new student that had just re-registered with the district. It is the sibling of another student of mine. I attempted to contact the mother several times without success.

I make a futile attempt to do some paperwork, such as a risk assessment from earlier in the week and a psychological report. But as I said, it was a futile attempt.

Monday, December 14th
Back to work. I try to get in touch with out district lawyer regarding the tentative plans for a meeting later this week. The lawyer says that yes, it will occur on Wednesday. This sets off a flurry of emails to make final arrangements. All this will come back to bite me in the butt later in the day.

I go over to the high school to meet with a couple of student and then I get out of there before I'm trapped in the lockdown drill.

Once back at the office I get an email that tells me that one of the home instructors that I thought I had arranged is not arranged. Back to the drawing board. Science and math are the hardest to find for home instruction. I speak to one of my superiors and follow up on a suggestion from them. I contact the director of guidance who is the contact person for the web-based home instruction company that we use. I give her the information on the student and also send an email to the mother.

Following this, I call the parent of my new student and arrange a meeting. Another thing that will bite me in the butt.

I wait around for the state monitors but I'm never contacted which is fine. I hear of their comings and goings and continue about my day.

In the afternoon, I go over to the high school to follow the schedule of one of my students to see just how many stairs they have to take during the day. Don't ask.

Then in the afternoon I get a call from one of my coworkers who is involved with the student that has the lawyer meeting coming up. She reports that she has just gotten off the phone with the mother of said student and reports that the mother is under the impression that our meeting is Thursday and not Wednesday. I return to my office and print out the several emails that capture the exchange between me and our lawyer about the date of the meeting, culminating in this morning's email that confirms that the meeting is on Wednesday. I go to my coworker and show her the emails just because I want someone else to see the stupidity of the situation. After several other phone calls, our lawyer (who says that they aren't sure who screwed up) confirms for the 17th.

Now I got back and resend emails regarding the meeting. I have to call the high school person that organizes substitutes to reschedule the substitute and find another place to hold the meeting. I also have to reschedule the meeting with the other parent that I called today.

Well, that should make up for a slow Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment