Friday, December 3, 2010

The Winter NJASP Conference

Well today was the day.  Not only didn't I win any of the raffles (none of my tickets even came close) but I didn't even get a good pen.  The one pen I got was stolen by someone.

Beyond that, it was a good day.  I got to see a couple of good friends and former coworkers (both of which are the same people).  One was the director of my school psych program, who was running a workshop on supervising school psych interns.  The other was actually someone that I met working for psychiatric emergency services.  Last year, he was nominated for NJ School Psychologist of the Year.  Both of these people have been big influences on my professional development and it was great to see them again.

My morning workshop was on executive functioning.  The presenter was the creator of the Behavior Rating Inventory of Executive Functioning.  I thought it was a very good presentation.  He was entertaining and informative.  Some of the people that I shared a lunch table with felt that he was a bit condescending.  While I think he may have been flippant, I didn't think him mean-spirited.  Just that he didn't know much about New Jersey certification and license requirements.  The presentation did make me want to get several instruments, not just the BRIEF.

I attended the workshop on supervising school psychology interns in the afternoon.  You really need to think about being ready to be an intern supervisor because, while it may look like you get to foist work off on someone else, you are ultimately responsible for the work that the supervisee turns in.  Still, I am curious about the experience.

All in all, it was a good day.  I'm dreading what may be awaiting me at work on Monday but I'll deal with that then.

No comments:

Post a Comment