Monday, September 27, 2010

Meetings, Meetings, IEPs, and Meetings

Sorry for the late post, I was trying to catch up on some DVD watching before I have to return it to the library.

After a wonderful weekend, I get into work to find that the IEP I was hoping would materialize has not appeared.  So I gather what information I have and attempt to call the parent.  I end up leaving a message asking them to contact me at my office or at the school office.  I head over to the school.  Since it is raining, I choose to park as far away from the school entrance as possible.  I say "choose" because claiming to be cursed is histrionic.

Once in my office, I get ready for the onslaught of teachers that are going to come down to ask questions about the IEPs and modifications for students.  Instead of a stampede, I get one teacher who has already had their IEPs for a week and two emails.  I then attempt to schedule teachers for my IEP meetings next week.  This is much harder than it seems because I need something visual to see when the teachers have prep or in-class support classes so I can decide whether I need a substitute.  Even with the graphic representation that I have it is difficult because of the politics of being in a new school.  I decide that I'll consult the principal when I see him just to be on the safe side and make sure that the procedure we discussed previously is still viable.

Following this, I attempt to call a parent on behalf of my coworker.  I leave a message for the parent and then document the phone call.  I also notice that my coworker's line just rang.  I check her voicemail just in case it was the parent calling from an unfamiliar number and it turns out to be an upset phone call from another parent.  I'm peripherally aware of this case and call the case manager from last year to get a little more background.  Once I get that information, I call the out-of-district placement for information and get a different story.  I evaluate the situation and decide that the parent's need (to hear from the out-of-district placement) has been met and leave it at that.

I get off the phone, rush to my CST mobile (read: personal vehicle), and drive over to another school for two back-to-back initial referral conferences.  The first one goes smoothly and within the expected amount of time.  The second one drags on due to a garrulous participant.  Both end up being referred back to I&RS for monitoring.

Following this, I head back to my office to grab some more paperwork and to get an instant breakfast for lunch since I have to rush back to the school to be ready for more teacher questions.  I promised I would be there.  Just before I head out the door to the school, I get a call from the district that is supposed to have the IEP for the student I have been trying to get into school.  I am told that they will face the IEP over to me.  I give the school face number since I will be over there.

Once I get to the school, I see that the student lunch period is still in full swing and, against my better judgment, I decide that this will be more satisfying than the instant breakfast drink.  I should have reminded myself that the drink was at least chocolate.  I get the lunch room's interpretation of a chick Caesar salad wrap (you know your in trouble with the salad part comes in the little side salad cups, croutons and all).

I spend my time waiting for teachers and the IEP by trying to call my coworker's parent again.  Still no luck.  Since this is now holding things up, I send an email to one of my supervisors who is aware of the case and explain the situation.  I also document, document, document.  This is very important.  Not only is this important from a CYA aspect but it is important so that if someone works on the case while you're out (like I am) then they have something to refer to instead of half-remembered conversations.

The hour flies and it is suddenly time for my next initial referral conference.  With the exception of my Initial Referral/Eligibility/Initial IEP tri-fecta, this is one of the fastest initial referral conferences I have ever attended.  The reason is that the case manager already knows the parent from years past so it runs very smoothly.  After this, I return to my permanent office.

Once there, I talk to my supervisor about the parent that hasn't returned my call.  She has also put in a call to the parent.  I decide to put in a board approval request for one part of the issue that I am calling for and the other part will have to wait for the parent to respond.

Two of my coworkers visit my office to size it up.  They are the two people that are going to be moving in when my office mate and I move to our new digs.  They examine the office and consider the feng shui of office furniture.  We joke around a bit about the office layout and the idiosyncrasies of one of the duo.  I do agree with them that having your back to the door is uncomfortable.  For me, it is something that's from my previous career and is a safety concern.

After this comedic interlude, I visit my boss of bosses since I try to call the person that was going to send me the IEP since it is now close to 3pm and no IEP has materialized.  I had really hoped to have it earlier in order to plan the student's schedule today and get the kid in school tomorrow.  That will not be my fate.  At the suggestion of my supervisor, I attempt to call again and then take it up the chain.  I speak to the secretary of the other district's special ed supervisor who feels like she yeses me and doesn't get me anywhere.  I speak to my supervisor again and she calls.  Within half an hour, we have the IEP, faxed to the school and not my office, but we have it.  I also get a call from the secretary that I had spoken to earlier in the day.  The call starts off curt but once we both explain our positions, we come to an amiable understanding.  I'm not joking or being sarcastic, we do come to an amiable understanding.  She didn't know that I had actually spoken to someone from their office last week, had been told something would be done, and had nothing materialized.  She made a comment about how business shouldn't stop just because one person (her) is out for the day.

Then it was time to visit some highway traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment