Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Department Meeting & More Tech Support

So I stumble into my office, look at the remaining mess on my desk and decide to tackle the mess in the basement instead.  I print out copies of the purchase orders that I submitted at the end of the school year and go downstairs to check the items against the POs.  I'm pleased to see that everything, including the WAIS-IV Scoring Assistant and the SB5 Scoring Assistant, is present.  I then begin stuffing packets of protocols into the appropriate file cabinet folders and quickly discover that I need more room.  I curse a few times, nothing very colorful, and then attempt to find other office supplies to scavenge to create the needed space.  Scavenging is a time honored practice.  One person's trash is another person's treasure.  It is the only reason that I have a bookshelf in my previous district, after the bookshelf that had been in my old office had been taken by one of my future coworkers in that district.

My search is a failure, although I do scout out several locations to move all of our testing supplies.  I wouldn't do this without first consulting my fellow school psychologists.  I return to the mess in the basement.  Look at it, look at the mess where everything had been neatly placed at the end of last year and then I retreat to ponder.

So I return to the mess on my desk and begin the weeding process anew while I gleefully install the WAIS-IV Scoring Assistant.  I did not order the WAIS-IV Scoring Assistant and Report Writer because I believe in the Star Trek attitude toward technology (not that I'm that big of a Star Trek fan): technology is there to help, not replace human thinking.  While I believe that when you are learning to administer the tests, you should learn how to score them manually so that you have an understanding of the scoring process, once you are proficient, scoring them is a waste of time.

I also consider installing the SB5 software but since I have not used the SB5, I skip it.  I've been trying to hold off on learning the SB5 in hopes that one of my coworkers will administer it to me so I can finally find out my IQ.  Although now that we have a second kit, my desire to examine it is weakening.  While I usually stick with the Wechsler stuff, I have used other tests.  I think the Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children, Second Edition, is an interesting test.  Although all the freakin' easels bug the hell out of me.

After the installation is finished, I put the software in an interoffice envelop and attach a sheet with my fellow SPs' names on it so that it can be passed around and we can all install it.  In between pressing buttons to continue the installation process, I've been weeding papers into four piles: file, trash, shred, and pass on to someone else.  By the time the department meeting rolls around an hour and a half after my arrival at work, I can see the top of my desk.

I take my seat in the humidifier that is our giant meeting room and the meeting is in session five minutes later.  Our supervisor reports that this is a preliminary meeting since there is too much to cover in one session and she doesn't want to keep us all day.  The meeting is surprisingly short.  We get the most recent versions of our student lists, hear about the new requirements for submitting items for board approval, and find out about the 30+ kids that need to be evaluated (I did mention in another post that the clock doesn't stop just because school's out for summer).

We also find out the strides that have been made with our department going paperless as far as IEP distribution within the district.  In years past, we have had to provide a copy of each students' IEP to each of their special education teachers.  In addition, guidance counselors get a copy for each of the special education students for themselves and so the regular education teachers may review the IEPs.  In addition to this, if they have a related service (OT, PT, Speech), that provider gets a copy.  So that means about 5 copies of each IEP per student.  So 5 copies at 14 pages (if it is double sided) per student.  Then multiply that number by about 480 or so.  So (5 x 14) x 480 = 33600 pieces of paper every year.  That is not counting the parent copy, or the revisions that may crop up.  So you can see the benefit of going paperless.  Or as paperless as possible.  Especially in a system where most teachers are willing to cut each others throats for a ream of paper by the time April rolls around.  Last year, teacher in my district high school were cutting legal size white paper to letter size because that was the only thing left to use in the copiers and printers.  I grabbed up a bunch of the cuttings just to use as scrap and note paper because at least it wouldn't go to waste.

As I said, there had been strides.  We finally got the okay from the company that runs our school information system (SIS) to let the company that runs our IEP system insert the IEPs into the school information system.  This way, a teacher can log into the SIS, look up the kid and access the IEP.  There are still kinks to work out such as ensuring that only teachers that have a particular student have access to that student's IEP.  My thoughts are to follow human nature: if a person doesn't have to do something, they probably won't.  If a teacher doesn't have a particular special education student in any of their classes, they are most likely not going to look at that student's IEP.  On the other hand, if a teacher doesn't have a student and really wants to see their IEP, they will most likely find a way to see it.  Both of these rules apply to most types of information, in my opinion.

I am still impressed at how close we may be to going paperless, which will save a lot of work for case managers in the organization and distribution of IEPs to the teachers.  I know other districts have ways of dealing with this and all districts struggle with it every year.  It is one of those things that each district has to figure out what works best for their setup.  Some districts just have a copy in guidance and a command is given to the teachers that they must go down and read it and sign that they read it while special ed teachers must make their own copies.  To each their own but going paperless will be a saver.

So that ended our meeting.  I went downstairs and help the speech therapists and one of the LDTCs get their computers and phones set up.  I'm hailed as a hero by them.  I have just enough skill to be dangerous.  I tell them that if the tech guys come by and everything is working great, they can say that I did it.  If something isn't right, I had nothing to do with it.  While they think I'm tech savvy, I think of the old saying, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

I went back to my office and finished a few paperwork projects and got ready to visit my new school assignment.  I've been to the school before but me and my office mate were bringing stuff over to "move in" for the year.  My office mate had a strong desire to make it feel more homey and decorate while my feeling is that I'm only going to be there for a year and I'll do my traveling case manager routine.  To continue with the going paperless thing, I don't feel the need to have copies of my IEPs printed out if I have access to a computer that will allow me to get the information when I need it.  If I can get the IT guys to mirror my office desktop at the school, I'll be golden.

We get to the school after a quick lunch.  We unload a bunch of stuff.  My office mate puts everything where she wants it.  I don't interfere with this because it is one of those things that is a really small blip on my radar.  We go to the main office and meet the new secretary.  The place is empty because most of the teachers are in a seminar.

Once back at home base, I start a few projects to finish on Friday, answer a few questions that the case managers that have inherited my kids from last year have, and then I pack up for the day.  We are off on Thursday so Friday will be more fun and frolic, minus most of the frolic.  Then the school year begins in earnest on the 13th.

No comments:

Post a Comment