Monday, September 13, 2010

First Day...with Students

Before we begin today's post, I'm going to flashback quickly to the opening day for teachers.  We are listening to all the building improvements.  One of which involved the new buzzer system that was installed at all the school buildings.  We were told that we press the button and then someone will come on the speaker phone and ask, "What is your business?"  I leaned over to a coworker and said, "As long as they don't ask me, 'What is my purpose?'  If they did that, it would probably throw me into an existential crisis."

So I get into work and start to gather my things for the trip to my new school.  I check my email and voicemail and only get a small amount of information for the student that entered into the district last week and isn't considered registered in my school.  I get an FM system for a student and put that with the rest of my stuff.  I leave a phone message and send an email to the parent of the initial referral I mentioned in Friday's post to try to nail down a meeting date.  When my coworker gets in and gathers her things, we head over to the school.  Once inside, we begin organizing IEPs and trying to get information on teacher schedules.  We also discover that we do not have any computer access.  I don't have a login for the computer and her old login doesn't work.

The parents of the student that just entered the district show up at the child study team offices across town and I ask the secretary to direct them to the school since I rode over with my coworker in her car.  I make another attempt to gather more information on the student's file but only succeed in leaving a voicemail for someone.  The parents and the student arrive at the school and I bring them back to the CST office.  They tell me where they last left off with the registration process and I tell them what I have attempted to do.  I agree that it has taken a  ridiculous amount of time to register them.  I also discuss the IEP that is due soon, as well as the re-evaluation.  Of course, the parents would like to do a formal re-evaluation (additional CST testing) as opposed to a functional evaluation (review of previous evaluations, use of teacher observations, standardized test results, etc.).  Overall, the meeting went well and I hope to have better news for them tomorrow.

Following this, I go back to the task of organizing IEPs so that I can distribute them to teachers.  My coworker and I banter back and forth.  I've known my coworker for about 13 years, going back to a time before either of us worked in school.  I liken my relationship with her to police partners, like on Law & Order.  We have spent so much time together and seen so much crazy stuff that we just talk about anything.

We head back to our main office for lunch with our coworkers.  The parent I left a message for about the initial referral conference has returned my call, confirming the appointment.  I return her call to let her know that I've received her confirmation.  Then it is back to the school.

We finish putting the IEPs in place and have a list of things that we need to bring back to the school tomorrow.  We go back to the office and I finally speak with the registrar at the board office and I'm told that the student's file may be missing something but they need to check what it is missing.  I'm told that they will call me back.  I wait for 15 minutes past the time I usually leave for a return call but at that point I have to head out due to other obligations.  So I guess I'll find out tomorrow and maybe I can affect some sort of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment