Thursday, November 26, 2009

Wednesday, November 25th

Well, Wednesday made up for a mundane Monday and Tuesday. So, I go into work and head over to the high school for counseling. I try to meet with two students. I get the first one and have the session and then try to call down the second one. Since it was a half day, all the periods were shortened. I called into the period that was just about to end and asked the teacher to send the student to guidance at the end of the period. Period ends and not student. 5 minutes later, still not student. Another couple of minutes and still a no show. I even seen the teacher from the class I called and she said that she told the student. Ah well, I'll catch the student next week.

Following this, its back to home base. I'm not there for more than 15 minutes when I get a call to see my boss about a risk assessment at the middle school. I see my both who tells me of the unusual circumstances. That the incident that is triggering the assessment happened a week ago. I know that unless that student expresses similar ideas from last week that the student isn't going to be sent out and sending someone to the psych screeners for something that happened a week ago will result in nothing.

I meet with the student and the interview goes just as I expect. I get nothing. The student has either been coached or it was just impulsivity that lead to his inflammatory statement. But my day isn't over yet.

As I'm leaving, I'm told about this other student who happens to be in one of my counseling groups. The student is upset about something and the mother had asked that we speak with her about it. This request from the mother brings up the idea in my head of "how come parents can't talk to their kids" and "where does a school's responsibilities end" but since I'm there and I know the student I talk with 'em. Coincidentally, the student's case manager shows up about this issue as well. So we both end up talking with 'em. The issues that come up have a lot to do with bullying and cyber-bullying but other things come up as well, such as how one of the student's parents has been calling them extremely harsh names. Names that parents really shouldn't call their children and while that may seem like a judgment, it is but I'm not putting the names here for others to decide.

As the student is telling me things and answering my questions I begin to get the feeling that I have to ask the question. So I ask 'em if they have ever thought of hurting or killing themselves. I get a yes. This changes it from a counseling session to a risk assessment. In the end, I decide that she needs to be evaluated. I talk with the case manager and the guidance counselor and they both agree. We speak with the student to ask them which parent they would like us to call after telling 'em about our decision. The student asks for the other (non-name calling) parent. So we get the ball rolling. A short while after speaking with the requested parent, the other parent makes an angry phone call to the case manager. We take the heat because it was more important that the student was comfortable and didn't face an accusing parent at that moment, especially since that parent seemed to be part of the problem. The desired parent arrives and we meet and provide the information needed for them to get the student evaluated. In the meantime, I've contacted the psychiatric screeners and tell them to expect the student.

My day ends with me trying to find a freakin' fax machine that works. The third one's the charm. With that I'm able to go home.

See you all next week. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment