Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wednesday, October 14th

I started my day by going over to the high school for counseling. As space is an issue in any school, I had signed up to use the conference room at the beginning of October to reserve the room on Wednesdays. Well, I was in between sessions, looking up another students schedule to call them down, when a guidance counselor came in and put her stuff in the conference room. The guidance secretary said to her that I was scheduled to use the room and that the guidance counselors would likely be meeting in the common area. The guidance counselor made some joking comment about my being an inconvenience to which I, jokingly, replied, "I followed the rules and signed up for the room. So if I get kicked out of the room, what's the point in following the rules." While I was joking, I think I said it loud enough for the head of guidance to hear. Which was fine by me because she is the one that instituted the rule to begin with.

So, after I finished my counseling jag, I went around to find two students to get some info and to see a Spanish teacher about a student in her class that told me he was having trouble with the reading and writing assignments. And this is a student who has trouble reading English to begin with. After speaking with the teacher about how he is doing in her class, I then returned to home base.

Back at the ranch, I prepared some paperwork for an IEP meeting I had at 1pm. But it wasn't like I could do it on my computer because I don't have ink in my printer to print any of it out. So I used the computer of an absent coworker. I also tried to make some arrangements for a second IEP meeting I have on Thursday. After that, I had time for a quick lunch and then it was off to the IEP meeting.

The meeting went well, although the student wasn't too happy to hear that she wasn't going to be transferring out of her resource math class. One thing came up that I have had come up before. The first time it occurred, it was the interpretation of the parent. In this case, it was the student. The term "slow." We were talking about how she works more slowly than some other students. She interpreted slow to mean "stupid." As I said, I've encountered this before and I think it is a holdover from an earlier time when slow had that connotation. Beyond that, the meeting went well.

No comments:

Post a Comment