Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Feelin' like a new man

Today was the first day that I woke up and didn't feel like something the cat dragged in...and with three cats, that's saying something.

Even so, I had my work cut out for me since I had four meetings to attend at three different locations, all in district.  My first meeting was an initial referral conference for a student that I had done a risk assessment on at the beginning of December.  The parent wasn't able to attend in person and participated over the phone.  When I introduced myself, I said, "You may not remember me but we spoke a couple of weeks ago."  The parent said they remembered my name and would never forget it.  I joked that could either be good or bad but from the tone I sensed a certain amount of appreciation.  I learned during the meeting that the student had been admitted to an inpatient unit.  On the one hand, I'm glad the student is finally getting services.  On the other hand, this student has now started their contact with mental health professional and I don't foresee this ending anytime in the near future.  The student really struck me as having borderline traits and personality disorders are particularly difficult to treat.

My second initial referral meeting at the second school of the day was another complicated matter.  The student is in a foster home.  The child has a very complicated and sad background.  It is a shame.  The one thing that bothered me during the meeting was the teacher who was talking beyond her area of expertise.  The teacher said that perhaps the student is blocking memories.  I don't mind people playing armchair psychologist (hell, I make a living at it) but don't talk about it in a meeting with a parent.

The third meeting was a change of pace: an eligibility conference.  Just prior to this meeting, a downed a breakfast drink for lunch.  The meeting went well and was the simplest of them all.  While the parent didn't want the level of service that was initially recommended, which would have required a complete change of school for the child, the student has been making progress.  With the addition of accommodations and modification, the student should be alright.

My last meeting of the day was back at the second school and was my very own initial referral conference.  This one was the most technically screwed up of the all.  The student had been referred at the end of last school year, just about a year after they had been evaluated by the child study team and found ineligible.  So at the time of the second referral, it was determined that the reports could be accepted since it was within a year and an additional neurological would be done.  Then the summer came and we do not have a permanent team during the summer so there was no one to keep tabs on this.  Add this to the fact that the board didn't approve the neurological evaluation until September and this leads to the current problems.

So at some point during the current school year, someone asks, "Whatever happened with X?"  X being the student in question.  I do some digging and find out that nothing ever happened with X.  I speak to my supervisor because now the old psych and ed are out of date.  I'm advised to treat it as a new referral and do a new psych and ed.  So this is what I do.

During the meeting, I own up to the district's failure to get this done and inform the parent that the evaluations will be expedited.  The parents certainly seem trusting enough and I hope that my manner put them at ease.  We all part on amicable terms.

This brings me to the end of any significant activities for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment