Thursday, February 18, 2010

Christie's Announcement

I saw in the paper that Christie told school districts to expect a 15% decrease in state aid. That has a lot of folks running scared. I'm even concerned about my job. While many of my coworkers who have more years at the job than me say that I shouldn't be concerned and that we are needed, I've never seen myself as essential. With such an decrease in aid, that is a lot of money to shave out of a budget. Okay, it is actually more like an amputation than a shaving.

While some of my coworkers say that we are needed and the job can't be done with less, there are lots of districts where the caseload is much higher. Our caseload is fairly light in comparison. We range from 40 to 50 on average per case manager. I know of districts where there are 70, 80, even 90 per case manager. Now in those districts, case management is almost the entire job with very little in the way of doing your job title. I've heard that sort of position referred to as being an "IEP machine."

With that being the case, I don't consider my position secure at all. Getting rid of one or two positions would redistribute the caseload to those levels.

But I'm still hopeful that I will have a job come September.

No comments:

Post a Comment