Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Games with Kids

I wanted to plug a couple of interesting games that might be useful to use with kids in both the classroom and the counseling room.

The first one is Happy Birthday, Robot! This labor of love by graphic designer and game designer, Daniel Solis, is touted as "a storytelling game for families and classrooms." I'd explain it further but I think the video tells it best.



I bought the game when it was being funded through Kickstarter. It is a really great game and one that I am looking forward to playing with my son when he gets older. I also think that it would be great for special education students that have trouble with the process of writing. If you're looking for a game to help teach collaborative storytelling, this is a great game.

The only thing extra that a teacher would need are about 10 to 15 six-sided dice. Blank dice that are modified for the game can be purchased at most educational supply stores or regular six-sided dice may be used.

Happy Birthday, Robot! can be purchased directly from Evil Hat Productions (don't be scared off by the name).

The next game is one that I like to use as an icebreaker for group counseling with kids. It is called Rorschach: The Inkblot Party Game by Bucephalus Games. From their website:
This uproarious party game brings players together to look through Rorschach tests-inkblots, trying to match answers with the other players to score points. Try to match your crazy interpretations with as many of the other players as you can!
The object is to not only match your answer with each other player but to also have a unique answer. I do think it is a great icebreaker game. It can be obtained through pretty regular channels, such as here at Amazon.com.

That's all for now.

Remember, I plan on being back to regular posts starting after Labor Day.

2 comments:

  1. I gotta try that inkblot game at parties. Seems like the market for straight party games is a lot more broad than the thinky/makey games I've been doing so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I'd like to see is something along the lines of "Breaking the Ice" but without the situation being a date. I think that would also be a great game for teaching social skills, or at least seeing what type of social skills a person has as part of a roleplaying exercise.

    ReplyDelete